Here are the common ways people know of to get grounded. Maybe you’ve been told them before?
- Going for a walk, preferably in nature
- Walking barefoot on grass
- Spending some time with/in nature
- Eating something, especially root vegetables (carbs) or something sweet, in emergencies
- Imagining tree roots coming out of the feet, or anchors, or imagining you are a tree
- Doing mindful exercises like yoga or tai chi
These things are helpful, and have their place. They’re also more like ‘ways of grounding’ than ‘ways of deepening your grounding’. A subtle but important difference- it’s the latter which is actually the most important, as it’s what improves grounding. The former is what you do in the moment when you are feeling ungrounded; the latter is what you do later on, as part of your spiritual practice, to build and expand your capacity to experience groundedness.
Does that make sense?
I don’t recommend that you rely on what is mostly a ‘mental’ practice (such as: affirmations, belief systems work, or visualisations) to get you grounded. I also don’t recommend relying on sporadic trips into the garden, or a weekly chi gong class, to be enough to address ‘grounding’ in your life. That would be like having one good meal a week, and eating junk food the rest of it, if you had the goal of having a healthy diet.
What I do recommend is:
a) you take on several practices and methods for grounding, methods you enjoy
b) you consider the process of grounding as a healing journey.
And that’s what it is- a journey, rather than a destination. It’s also a way of life, almost. It certainly is a spiritual philosophy (very different to much popular new-age philosophy, which focuses on ascension. More on that later)
WAYS OF DEEPENING YOUR GROUNDING
- Vibrational remedies (flower essences, gem elixirs, etc)
- Massages, especially deep massages like rolfing; also structural bodywork
- Core-energetics, bio-energetics and other body-centred psychotherapy
- Family constellations therapy
- Ancestral healing work
- Shamanic healing (soul retrievals)
- Energy healing
- Eating fresh, locally grown seasonal food
- Eating more legumes and root vegetables
When I work with people, I use transformational energy healing, vibrational remedies and shamanic healing, all to help them deepen their grounding. And I do grounding coaching (grouching?), bringing in the other points as needed.
So, that’s it for the introduction.
- Sign up for occasional grounding newsletters and I’ll send you a free drumming for grounding MP3, with occasional articles and news about grounding
- You can peruse the blog
- You can book private sessions if you’d like to work with me (and if you live in London, you can come to my grounding events)
You can also get in touch with me over here. I welcome contact!